- Don't swim in ditches or canals
- Water is very cold
- Water moves very fast and can sweep you away before you have a chance to get out
- Others can be pulled in trying to rescue you
- Ditch and canal bottoms can contain hazards or debris that are dangerous and can snare you
- Don't play in, on or around ditches/canals or irrigation structures. Canal banks and irrigation structures are private property
- Don't play, walk, run, etc. on ditch and canal banks
- Banks can be steep and slick
- Don't drink irrigation water
- Don't use boards, old trees or other things to build bridges across ditches and canals
- Do obey any posted signs along ditches and canals
- They warn of danger
- They help keep you safe
Click here to download a PDF version of the Otto Otter Canal Safety Coloring book!
Canal Safety - What Can You Do?